Consider all the bread choices: White, rye or sourdough slices, wheat rolls, hoagie or brat buns, pitas, bagels, English muffins, tortillas and even waffles. Using large lettuce or collard green leaves work great for a roll-up style sandwich. Hungry for a sandwich but happen to have just the heel left in the bread bag? Turn it into a great open-faced sandwich.
Once you’ve got the bread, the fun starts. Sure, you can make a traditional PB & J or grilled cheese. But dig a little deeper in the fridge and surprise yourself. Here are a few combinations to consider:
- Egg salad with Avocado and Arugula in a pita
- Rotisserie Chicken, shredded Carrots and Lettuce, Cilantro and chipotle mayo in a hoagie roll
- Grilled Swiss Cheese with thin sliced Granny Smith Apples and caramelized Onions on rye bread
- Salmon, Cream Cheese and Chives on an English muffin
- Roast Beef slices with left-over mashed Potatoes and Gravy served open-faced
Check out these sites for great inspiration.
Find the recipes for 102 healthy sandwich ideas from Cooking Light Magazine!
Fifty unbelievable grilled cheese sandwiches from the Food Network.