And they’re perfect for breakfast, lunch AND dinner.
- Breakfast idea: Pancakes for One (recipe below) with egg your way and bacon
- Lunch idea: Chef Salad with hard boiled egg and bacon bits
- Dinner idea: Spaghetti Carbonara for One (recipe below)
Can your smell the bacon already? Let’s get cooking!
Cooking for One Storage tip: Thicker cuts of bacon freeze easily. After opening the package, cut all the slices in half, put them into 3 or 4 slice-thick portions. Lay the portions side-by-side in freezer bags. When you need a serving of bacon, take out one stack and defrost.
Pancakes for One, Eggs Your Way and Crispy Bacon
To get that local diner flavor, cook your bacon first in a heavy bottomed pan. Leave a tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan to fry your pancakes and egg.
Pancakes for One
1/2 cup of pancake mix (like Bisquik)
1/3 cup water
Combine pancake mix and water. Batter will be lumpy.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter into hot pan to form one small pancake.
- Pour 2 or 3 more pancakes into pan. Do not over crowd the pan.
- Flip pancakes when holes start to appear in batter and the edges are brown.
- Put on a plate and cook an egg your favorite way in the pan next.
Spaghetti Carbonara for One
Spaghetti Carbonara For One
2 oz (small handful) dry spaghetti pasta
1 garlic clove, minced
1 strip bacon
1 egg, slightly beaten
Parmesan cheese, about a ¼ cup grated
- Cook the bacon in a cast iron skillet or heavy skillet.
- Remove and drain on paper towel, when drained crumble into small pieces.
- Add the minced garlic to the bacon grease and cook until fragrant (about thirty seconds).
- Remove from heat.
- Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water.
- Drain and immediately place back in the pot with the bacon, bacon grease and garlic.
- Place pot back on the stove over low heat, add the beaten egg and whisk continuously for three minutes, or until the egg cooks and thickens, creating a silky sauce over the noodles.
- Be careful not to stop whisking or the egg will scramble! (Don’t worry about the egg being raw-it will be cook).
- Top with a generous serving of grated fresh Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.